1. World Asthma Day: 7 May 2019
World Asthma Day (WAD) is organized by the Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) towards increasing awareness about asthma and its management across the world.
- It is observed every year on the first Tuesday of May.
- On this day activities are carried out throughout the world to motivate asthma patients to keep their asthma under control.
- The theme for WAD 2019 is ‘STOP for Asthma’: where STOP stands for Symptom Evaluation, Test Response, Observe and Assess, and Proceed to Adjust Treatment.
2. India to attend G-7 meet in France
India will be attending the Group of 7 industrialized nations meets organized by France in Biarritz in August along with Australia, Chile, and South Africa.
- The invitation to Australia, France, and Chile besides India reflects the French emphasis on the Indian Ocean and the Pacific region.
- The G-7 groups together the US, Britain, France, Italy, Canada, Japan, and Germany.
3. India and UK in talks to build copycat Naval supercarrier
The UK is in talks with the Indian government on building a new state-of-the-art aircraft carrier along the lines of Britain’s HMS Queen Elizabeth.
- The talks are underway for the Indian Navy to buy detailed plans for the 65,000-ton British warship to build a so-called “copycat supercarrier” and will be named INS Vishal in 2022.
- It is intended to be the second aircraft carrier to be built in India after INS Vikrant (IAC-1), and the first supercarrier to be built in India.
4. Microsoft unveils its own blockchain-based service
Microsoft has unveiled fully-managed Azure Blockchain Service.
- It would simplify the formation, management, and governance so that businesses can focus on workflow logic and application development.
- Instead of supporting cryptocurrency transactions, Azure Blockchain Service will let businesses develop their applications on its Cloud-based platform.
- Microsoft has also announced a partnership with J.P. Morgan to make ‘Quorum’ the first ledger available in Azure Blockchain Service.
5. SBI Card raises ₹700 crore from banks
SBI Card raised ₹700 crore from several financial institutions including its parent State Bank of India (SBI).
- It aims to grow above the industry average.
- SBI Cards and Payment Services Pvt. Ltd (SBI Card) raised ₹100 crore from ICICI Securities Primary Dealership Ltd, ₹250 crore from State Bank of India and ₹50 crore each from Canara Bank and Axis Bank by issuing non-convertible debentures (NCDs) at 9.15% coupon.
6. Donald Trump awards highest US civilian honor to Tiger Woods
US President Donald Trump on bestowed Tiger Woods with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation’s highest civilian honor.
- He described the golfer as “one of the greatest athletes in the history of sports.”
- Woods is only the fourth and the youngest golfer ever to have received the highest American civilian award.
7. Former billiards player Derek Sippy dies
Former billiards player, coach, and administrator Derek Sippy died in Mumbai.
- The news of Sippy’s death was confirmed to PTI by Manav Panchal, Honorary Secretary of the Billiards and Snooker Association of Maharashtra (BSAM).
- Sippy was in his 60s and died following a massive heart attack.
- He served the BSAM in various capacities and was its secretary for several years.
- He was the Indian team’s coach at recently concluded Asian Under-21 Boys Snooker and Asian Women Snooker tournament in Chandigarh.
8. Shahid Afridi released his autobiography: ‘Game Changer’
Former Pakistan cricket captain Shahid Afridi releases his biography, Game Changer.
- The book is co-authored by Afridi and journalist Wajahat S Khan.
- When Afridi smashed a 37-ball century against Sri Lanka in 1996, he not only registered the fastest-ever one-day ton, he also became the youngest player to score 100 runs in an international.